Friday, March 16, 2012

Catching Up

What a crazy week it has been! Gonna need the EU to bail me out of my sleep debt, please. Since my last post...
1. I saw the worst opera production in the world from the very highest back row of the Royal Opera House. That was three hours of my life I'll never get back.
2. I visited the little town of St. Ives on the Cornwall coast! I had an amazing and refreshing weekend of sun, fresh caught seafood, running around on the beach, and playing frisbee/flying a kite with friends. Something we really cannot do in London, and it was super nice to get away.






3. I saw the West End production of War Horse, which is now tied with Les Mis for the best theatre I've ever seen. The play is based off of a book and predates the movie. The special part of this WWII story is that the horses, main characters in the story, are lifesize puppets manned by three people each - one on the head, one in the shoulders, and one in the hind. They were unbelievably lifelike, I was astounded. Every movement and sound was flawless and it was a very moving and impressive performance.
4. I wrote a paper on The Beatles, comparing their influences in Britain and America, for my contemporary politics class.
5. I turned in a scholarship application (oh, right, senior year is happening soon...)
6. I studied pop art at the Tate Modern (Andy Warhol, Liechtenstein, and some crazy Italian satanists)
7. I went to a pub in the middle of nowhere to see my friend Shohei play a singer/songwriter gig and then went adventuring to return his rented sound equipment. For some reason we rewarded ourselves for making it onto the last train home in time by getting stale Krispy Kreme donuts from the corner convenience store. Hooray for odd, slightly inebriated shenanigans in the middle of the night!
8. Did laundry and cleaned my room. Something to be celebrated.

This morning I have been working on homework - they're trying to remind us that we're actually in school, not just on a sweet vacation. Very harsh of them. Although we did just hear that our last art history class will be a crawl alternating art gallery, pub, art gallery, pub, etc. So I guess 'school' is a relative term.

I am leaving in half an hour to go meet Nik at the train station! He is arriving in from London at 4:00 and staying with me for about 10 days, which I have been looking forward to all semester. I can't wait to see him and show him around my new home!

1 comment:

  1. I am envious of almost all of your week's activities (I could leave out the worst opera production experience, the homework, and the scholarship application) and am certainly happy to hear Nik is arriving via the train station versus via some random ride that he "hitched" from Scotland.... Hope you have a great time showing Nik London and the surrounding area. I bet he's happy to have a place to call "home" for ten days though I know he's enjoyed his travels thus far.

    ReplyDelete