Friday, January 13, 2012

First week

This is my fifth day in London and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. I'm at that point where everything is a little overwhelming and I kind of wish I'd never come. Except I would refuse to leave if asked to. It's all a little baffling. (so is military time, by the way) But I've figured out the tube pretty well! And I've been to see the London Symphony Orchestra play music by British composers Thomas Ades, William Walton, and Edward Elgar which was incredible, and the West End theatre production The 39 Steps based on the Alfred Hitchcock movie of the same name, which was hilarious. I've had British food, Thai food, Italian food, and... well, oatmeal a couple times. Who thought up oatmeal?
I've also had one of each of my classes - theatre history, music history, art history, and contemporary british culture. My music history class makes me want to jump out the window, just for something to do, but the others seem pretty good. The instructors are great - especially my Italian art history professor Giovanni. He's brilliant, funny, charming, and would make an excellent white marble sculpture - let's just say we all left the class craving a little pesto.
Haven't been to my internship yet, that starts on Monday. We're doing a couple guided tours this weekend and the theatre professor is taking us to see Tottenham, the site of the riots which ignited the Occupy movement and all the talk about social change. Then to the Bernie Grant Centre to see a show called Seven Sisters.
Oh and I have homework already.

No comments:

Post a Comment