Friday, January 20, 2012

Free Time!

Drinks at The Crown
      Thursday: 1) Got paid my weekly stipend. 2) Studied mummies, the Rosetta Stone, and the Parthenon sculptures with our hot Italian art history professor. 3) Went to a pub with a few friends and started drinking at 5pm. This was a VERY good start to the weekend!
      We have three full days completely free, which sounds wonderful after last week's busy and hectic schedule. Today I slept in until 9, which was a miracle considering that the pile driver at the construction site outside my window starts work promptly at 8 every day. (Gives you an idea of how tired I was) When I woke up I made myself breakfast and then watched a movie in bed, just for the luxury of it - accompanied by the pounding of the pile driver, of course.
New Dress
      This afternoon I went vintage shopping on Brick Lane with my roomie Irene and the girls next door, Willa and Kayley. The four of us hit three different vintage shops, and I bought myself a darling new dress for a great price. Sifting through piles of old clothing was a little overwhelming - also exceptionally girly, for me - but I love my new dress. We made a cleansing pass through a nice bookstore on the way home. Now I'm about to make myself some pasta, practice flute for the first time in forever, and then go see a Landscape Photography Exhibit at the National Theater with my friend Ava. My friend Josh and I have planned a trip to the Royal Academy of Music museum tomorrow to see their collections of period instruments and original manuscripts. I guess that leaves Sunday for homework and laundry.
      OOH! And I splurged this morning. I bought two tickets to see the St. Petersburg Philharmonic with pianist Martha Argerich at the Barbican, for when Nik comes to visit. Argerich is phenomenal and I'm so excited to see her perform live!! Also excited to show Nik around my city. :)
My city. Hmm. When did that happen?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been very busy! So, was that 5PM local time or "5 o'clock somewhere" Do you have a drink of choice yet? How was the music museum? Oh, and to answer your previous question, it appears the people of Scotland came up with oatmeal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, local time 5:00. The good people of England apparently don't know about grapefruit juice, so I have been missing my greyhounds. However, they have a wide selection of ciders (even occasionally on tap!) and I have tried several. Most of them are too sweet, I like something a little drier. So no drink of choice yet. I'll keep you posted.
    The music museum was very cool - they had an amazing collection of Strativari string instruments from the 17th century and a really nice collection of 19th century keyboards. That was cool to see. They also have Edward Elgar's (super famous British composer) violin bow, engraved with his initials!
    And way to go Scotland on the oatmeal bit.

    ReplyDelete