Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hyde and Go Seek

         We've started using "Hyde and go seek" as a legit verb. Not kidding! I'm about to go Hyde and seek myself, meaning I'll head home to Hyde Park Gate and eat dinner (leftover chicken, roasted sweet potatoes/squash, and chardonnay-viogner), then go out and see if I can find Wigmore Hall for tonight's string quartet recital! For as much as I hate my music professor (I'm spoiled by Nora), he is taking us to some pretty great concerts. And Wigmore Hall is supposed to be one of the premier small venues in the world, so I can't wait.
          London is beautiful. Tons of amazing architecture. I was riding a train yesterday on the way to my internship - we came around a corner and all of a sudden there's the sun rising over the Thames and the Southwark Cathedral directly in front of me! The Southwark Cathedral is quickly becoming my favorite spot. It's right on the river, near the Globe Theatre. I first met it on a "Walking Tour of Shakespeare's London" over the weekend with my theatre professor, Philip. We arrived there just before evensong and they were ringing all the bells nonstop. It was probably the most joyful, free-spirited sound I've ever heard, and so loud we couldn't hear anything else. And then I found it again on the train, and I'm in love. Will certainly be back to visit. It's nice to have moments like that, because more often than not London seems just to big and overwhelming. Especially when it's my dear friend Susan's birthday and I can't be there to celebrate, or it snows in Portland, or all my friends are returning to LC and starting classes. Missing home and family and friends, but trying not to think about that! Now off to find Wigmore Hall for some glorious music to cheer me up. (Also a warm blanket, courtesy of Mama, to keep me warm in my freezing cold flat!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the blanket arrived. Now you can wrap it around you and feel some love from all of us at home. XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete