Monday, February 27, 2012

Dublin

      On Saturday I woke up at 4 in the morning, put the last things in my suitcase, and headed to the airport at 5. I was incredibly nervous in the morning and didn't really want to go. I've never traveled on my own before and I felt really unprepared. But when I was sitting (sit, stand, pace, sigh, repeat) at the tube station waiting for my train to the airport, all of a sudden a large bunch of purple balloons came bobbing along the underground tunnel, blown ahead of the train. It was the most unexpected and charming thing imaginable and seemed like a very good omen!
      When I finally got to the airport and made it through all three security checkpoints, the flight was quick and easy. Landing in Dublin, I was pretty lonely. You know how everyone immediately turns on their phones and starts calling people to say they've arrived? I didn't have anyone to call and it was not a pleasant feeling. But then the customs guy was super friendly and stamped my passport with a very satisfying *thump* and I got excited again. Doesn't take much.
      I am Couchsurfing this week, which is a cool and slightly odd thing. Couchsurfing is an online organization which allows you to make a profile and then search for other members around the world to ask if you can sleep on their couch for a few nights. It's based around facilitating affordable travel and creating multi-cultural connections. The idea is that you return the favor by opening your home up to members who visit your hometown. Identities and locations are verified and it's reportedly very safe. So while in Dublin, I Couchsurfed for the first time! I stayed Saturday night with a guy who works for Google. He lives in a  flat in an old gasworks which has been gutted and turned into a super swanky modern apartment building.
Looking into the inner courtyard from the flat
The outside of the building, with the old gasworks structure

Thought I was sleeping on a couch... and instead I got my own room with a king bed. YES.

      I spent that afternoon and most of Sunday wandering around Dublin on my own, getting myself lost and finding cool things along the way. It was weird not to have anyone to talk to, but I felt very free and independent. Not in a hippie way. In a "I'm a strong and capable person!" kind of way. I found: a castle, the tiniest lock I've ever seen with a hand crank to open the gates, the Guiness factory, a pop-up art market, the site where Handel's Messiah was premiered, some beautiful parks with lots of spring flowers, a guy who looks like Joseph Fiennes, gorgeous cathedrals, and some excellent pie. All good things :)
At Dublin Castle, with the chapel behind me

Christ Church Cathedral

A park bench in the sun and blackberry-apple crumble.
      The highlight of visiting Dublin was getting to spend a couple hours with Orla McDonagh, my favorite professor in the world who moved back to Dublin two years ago. We each had a drink and sat and caught up Saturday evening. I reminded her that she promised to come back and perform a recital for us at LC. She had to leave all too soon, but it was so much fun to see her! I loved Dublin, overall, and was sad to leave. But Saturday late afternoon I got on a bus and headed west to Limerick for the rest of my holiday.

1 comment: