Monday, February 27, 2012

Limerick and the Cliffs of Moher

      Yesterday I took the bus over from Dublin and got into Limerick (on the west coast of Ireland) about 7pm. I got lost (again) trying to find the house where I am Couchsurfing for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday nights. Apparently the Irish don't believe in street signs and I didn't have a map yet, so I think it's admirable that I got to the right general area! Unfortunately though, I found a number 16 (which was my goal) on an unmarked road, took a guess and knocked on the door... no answer. So I call my host and say "I'm at the door!" but he says... "Uh. No you're not". Crap. Turns out I was only a couple blocks off though.
      My host, Kieran, and I got a pizza. He said - we've got the best pizza place here, you're gonna love it, better than any American pizza! Drumroll please... it was Papa Johns. I just started laughing, and he couldn't believe it when I told him there is one two miles from my house and the chain had, in fact, started in Indiana. But he's right, it's good pizza!
      For some crazy reason, I let Kieran convince me to get up at 5 in the morning and drive an hour to see the Cliffs of Moher at sunrise this morning. Four hours of sleep on a very uncomfortable couch was not the best set up, but it was absolutely worth it. We arrived at 6, so it was pitch black and deserted. We sat in the car waiting for the first sign of light and feeling the gusts of wind shake the car, and then walked up to the top of the Cliffs as it got brighter and brighter. Seeing these stunningly huge cliffs appear out of total darkness was one of the coolest things I've ever done. There was a very brief window between when the sun came up and when the fog rolled in a covered them up again. Definitely worth getting up for.
Cliffs of Moher, about 6:30am
The Cliffs and Watch Tower, 7:30am
Kieran and I at the Cliffs, with rain blowing sideways off the Atlantic. Brrrrrrr
      Standing on top of the Cliffs, Kieran happened to look down and see a police car pull up to his car parked down below. He thought he has getting a ticket and started running down to talk to them. But then the police saw us at the Cliff edge, turned on their lights, and raced up toward us. Of course we thought we were about to be arrested for parking illegally and entering the park without paying admission (not that we had an option at that hour!) and we panicked. Then when the car met us halfway down, they jumped out and asked breathlessly "Are you all right?? Is everything ok??" We said yes, yes, isn't it beautiful this early!? And one of the cops yelled "jesus, you scared the sh** out of us, we thought you was gonna jump!" All four of us just started laughing because we were all so relieved, having thought the worst. It was pretty comical.
      Kieran and I drove home, ate a bit of breakfast, and then both had a nap. I've been taking it easy today, feeling a little burnt out on pretty parks and old buildings for the moment. Tonight I'm hoping to see some traditional Irish music and have a good dinner, and for tomorrow I've booked a ridiculously kitschy tour bus around the Ring of Kerry: Paddywagon Tours, just for something different. On Wednesday I am planning to visit Bunratty Castle and Folk Park on my way to Shannon Airport to catch my flight home to London.

3 comments:

  1. You probably need one of those plastic headbands with the shamrocks on springs to wear during the tour tomorrow! But I bet you will see some incredibly beautiful sights, in spite of the kitsch. Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So there's a milestone....now you are referring to London as "home." LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally worth the effort.... And a great story to go with the effort that you'll remember long after you're old and gray.....

    ReplyDelete