Thursday, February 16, 2012

London Chamber Orchestra!!!

      Last Friday our music history professor, Chris, took us to Cadogan Hall to see the London Chamber Orchestra. They played William Walton's Crown Imperial, Max Bruch's Scottish Fantasy for Violin, Harp, and Orchestra, and Ralph Vaughan Williams' Symphony No. 5. The concert was incredible - definitely in my top ten performances I've ever been to. The orchestra was brilliant - precise, expressive, perfectly balanced, and the director was brilliant. I loved all the pieces they played. The Crown Imperial is a hilarious over-the-top fanfare (fun fact: the London Chamber Orchestra played it as the bridal march at Will and Kate's wedding). But the Bruch and the Vaughan Williams are both stunningly beautiful and intricate and exciting, especially when played by an amazing group like the LCO.
      Part of what made it so fun was that we sat in the balcony way up at the front, so we were literally on top of the orchestra. I could watch the director's face and hands, read the music off the violinists' stands below me, and be totally wrapped up in the surround sound. I let myself feel like I was a member of the orchestra, pretending I was on stage and playing along with them, and it was exactly the kind of professional orchestral experience I've been dreaming about since I started flute. I WANT THAT.
      My friend Ava was sitting in the balcony on the other side of the stage, facing towards me. She told me after the concert that I was hilarious to watch. Apparently my face was... expressive. She even caught me tearing up in the slow movement of the Bruch. *shrug* Typically, immediately after the concert I was inspired and rushed home to practice flute. Even more typically, about 20 minutes in I got really depressed at my own inadequacy, gave up, and went to bed. Oh well. Worth a try.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a terrific concert. So cool that you are getting to see so many fabulous performances.

    ReplyDelete