Monday, February 27, 2012

The Start of Mid-term Break

      I can't believe it's mid-term break already! I am just starting to figure out life in London and really enjoy myself, and it's half-way over. But I'm taking my free week to spend five days in Ireland!
      Classes ended Thursday evening, then we went  to see Offenbach's opera, The Tales of Hoffman, at the English National Opera. With the exception of Puccini, opera's not really my thing but it was fun to put on our nicest clothes and go out for the night. If only it wasn't three and a half hours long... However, the English National Opera performed the rare, original version of The Tales of Hoffman in which one coloratura soprano sings all three of Hoffman's lovers, one part in each act. She was incredible and, no matter my preferences on opera, I was seriously impressed.
      After the opera a couple girls and I stopped at a bar for a drink because we felt so classy in our fancy clothes. It was, for sure, the worst pub experience we'd ever had (mean bartender, expensive drinks that tasted like water, and a gross restroom) so we finished our drinks a little too quickly while we discussed how great all our boys look when they dress up (a shower and a shave is a nice surprise, so their suits and ties were impressive!). Also spent some time discussing how great WE looked in our dresses. Then we headed back to the flat, because I was throwing a little start-of-break party for the group. I'd made a giant nutella cheesecake that morning, and everyone changed into PJs and came up to have dessert and drinks.


Cookie crumb crust, the nutella-cream cheese mixture, and double cream that refused to whip for the longest time
Shohei played music for us, and we all danced and sang along
       On Friday we visited the Tower of London at 8:45am (that came awfully early after the party) and toured the Houses of Parliament in the afternoon. Both were fascinating but tiring. Then I went out to dinner with Sue, Albert, and Josh which was fun. Then home to pack and a very short night of sleep before my flight to Dublin the next morning!

1 comment:

  1. What? No report on how you all looked in your jammies? Mahhvelous, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete